Title: Falling Hard
Author: Dale Cameron Lowry
Length: 233 pages/57,000 words
Publisher: Terrestrial Press
Genres: short stories, contemporary romance, paranormal romance, erotic romance
Falling Hard features nine of Dale Cameron Lowry’s best short romance stories, available for the first time in one book. Meet a sign language interpreter who finds unexpected love at middle-age, college students in their first relationships, a vampire who would rather be a vegan, and a proudly gay ex-Mormon atheist who sells Bibles for a living. From sweet to erotic, this collection exhibits the quirkiness, fun, and diversity Dale’s writing is known for.
Here are just a few of the stories in Falling Hard:
- Loggerhead — Soon after they fall in love, Jake makes Eric a promise inspired by an old track uniform. But demanding work schedules at Jake’s four-star restaurant and Eric’s newspaper keep them from following through. Six years later, they take the honeymoon they never had, heading to the Florida coast in search of sea turtles—and rekindling their passion for each other in the process.
- Ghost of a Chance — When shy Jeremy Anderson meets mysterious and dapper Frank at his spooky old university library, their connection is instant. Their romance waxes with the full moon—but just as quickly, Frank’s interest seems to wane. He insists that he loves spending time with Jeremy, but then why does he keep Jeremy at arm’s length?
- Sweeter Than Blood — Keith was a vegan before a hot encounter with a stranger turned him into a vampire. In the year since, his sire, John, has tried to make up for the mistake by teaching Keith everything he knows about being a non-murderous bloodsucker. But temptation is strong in the form of Andres, a regular customer at the barbershop where Keith works. When Andres finally asks Keith on a date, the real danger begins.
- Rough Love — Blake thinks new boyfriend Michael doesn’t like French kissing. Michael thinks Blake doesn’t like rough sex. Neither are virgins, except in the art of conversation. Can they set things straight before the honeymoon’s over?
From Sweeter Than Blood:
I was a vegan before John turned me into a bloodsucker, and I still like my beet juice as much as I did back then. So when John finishes his night shift at the hospital, we usually meet at the gay district’s twenty-four–hour juice bar. That’s where we are now, at a table by the window, John counseling me on how to be a less miserable vampire.
He sets his glass down with a flourish, as if he’s about to make a pronouncement. “Keith, you’re a masochist to work in a barbershop.”
He nods and widens his eyes. “The temptation must be agonizing with all those razor blades around. Don’t you sometimes want to press a little too hard when you’re shaving an unsuspecting customer? Make the slightest nick?” He leans in conspiratorially. “I know I would.”
Of course it tempts me. Still, I’m not without scruples. I no longer have a soul, but its presence or absence shouldn’t make a difference since I never believed in souls when I had one. Besides, nicking customers would be bad for business. The undead have to pay the rent somehow if they don’t want to dwell in sewers and old cemeteries. I was a barber before I became a vampire, and I’m a barber now. Not everything has to change with death.
I take a sip of my beet juice. It’s sweet and iron-rich like blood, and it stains my tongue the same deep color. With a little salt added, it’s heavenly. “Maybe you should have taken my work into account before you changed me. Or provided some sort of vocational rehabilitation to ease the transition.”
“I would, if the Vampyre Guild offered insurance for this sort of situation.” John’s smile at his own joke exposes his eyeteeth. They don’t look much sharper than a normal human’s. No wonder I fell prey to him so easily that night.
Where to Buy
Falling Hard is currently available through the secure downloading platform PayHip, Amazon, Apple, and other sellers worldwide. You can read a preview and find sales outlets at:
To celebrate the release of Falling Hard, Dale is running a giveaway. The prize is one of Dale’s short romances that is not in the anthology: Love Unmasked, a lighthearted romance about Aaron Loreto, a gay man who’s been unlucky in love because he occasionally turns into a raccoon. For some reason, his ex-boyfriend didn’t like the way he’d spend all night digging through the trash. But somewhere out there is a guy who’s more understanding, and Aaron might just have found him at his favorite coffee shop.
You can enter every day to increase your chances. Enjoy!
(If you can’t see the Rafflecopter giveaway here, go to www.dalecameronlowry.com/falling-hard-giveaway/ to enter.)
Author Bio & Links
Dale Cameron Lowry lives in the Upper Midwest with a partner and three cats, one of whom enjoys eating dish towels, quilts, and wool socks. It’s up to you to guess whether the fabric eater is one of the cats or the partner. When not busy mending items destroyed by the aforementioned fabric eater, Dale is a writer and editor who enjoys wasting time on Tumblr, listening to podcasts, studying anatomy, getting annoyed at Duolingo, and reading fairy tales. Previous careers include sign language linguist, grocery store clerk, journalist, gardener, and camp counselor.
Dale began writing for fun at the age of eight and has been making up stories ever since, from overly workshopped literary fiction to off-the-cuff fanfic. Queer Mormons have a way of popping up in Dale’s work, whether it’s romance or erotica, sci fi or fairy tales, slice-of-life contemporary fiction or spine-tingling horror. So do immigrants and emigrants, people with disabilities, multilingual folks, and others who live their lives navigating multiple cultures.
- Website: www.dalecameronlowry.com
- Newsletter sign-up: www.dalecameronlowry.com/news
- Facebook Author Page: www.facebook.com/dalecameronlowry
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/DaleCLowry
- Tumblr: dalecameronlowry.tumblr.com
- Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/dalecameronlowry
- Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/daleclowry